XNAT stores DICOM scans using a data type that is different from many of the primary XNAT data types. You can't search directly on scan-level attributes because of security issues related to the image scan data type. This procedure provides a way to implement searches on scan-level attributes for administrators and particular users.
Searching by scan-level attributes requires creating a custom search bundle, which is an XML description of the search. Creating this search bundle requires administrative access.
- Log into XNAT as a site administrator.
- Create a search that comes close to the search you eventually want, but without the scan-level attributes:
- Save the XML for your search:
- Now go to Administer->More... then click on Bundles in the top bar.
- Find the search that you just saved by the search description and click the corresponding link to take you into the Bundle Details page.
- Click Download XML. This will save the XML description for your search locally.
- Open the downloaded XML in an editor (preferably an editor that understands and can help format and validate the XML).
To be completed...